Meeting of the President's Commission on Disability Issues:
February 6, 2006
Members present: Gay Gullickson, Dan Newsome, JoAnne Hutchinson, Marian Dombroski, Kim MacDonald-Wilson, Dottie Bass, Angel Wagner, Rob Waters
- Julianne Simpson has left the University for UMBC. The Commission and the University will greatly miss her hard work on behalf of campus accessibility. Esmond Sydney is taking over her responsibilities for awhile, and Marian Dombrowski is replacing her on the Commission.
- Womenís Studies is holding a summer workshop for faculty on ... in June. Interested faculty should contact Deborah Rosenfelt in Womenís Studies.
- Professor Art Popper sent Gay Gullickson a copy of the email correspondence he has been having with Transportation over the amount of handicapped parking in the Regentís Drive garage. We need to reactivate the transportation and parking subcommittee.
- A graduate student is suing the University for what he believes are violations of the ADA in relationship to his experiences in his graduate program.
- A separate hiring fair is held for students with disabilities. The desirability of such a fair was discussed. Several issues were raised. It is held in the Counseling Center rather than in Stamp Union where other hiring fairs are held. A separate minority hiring fair is no longer being held. Is a separate fair either useful or desirable? Warren Kelly will get more information for us.
- The demand for paratransit is up. We need more drivers and vans and a way to pay for them. Warren Kelly will keep us informed.
Angel Wagner and Rob Waters presented information and sample announcements for our awards. We selected one of the announcements. Rob and Angel will take charge of sending the announcement out and obtaining a room for a ceremony. Once the date is set, Angel will contact the Diamondback (multiple times) about covering the event. The possibility of a special award for Julianne Simpson was discussed.
Angel presented printouts of her updating of our web pages. We discussed additional information and links that should be there. Please send Angel information for the changes.
<-- Back to Archived 2006 Minutes