Past
Presidents

Image credit: University of Maryland Archives, 1973 Terrapin


In 1970, the reorganization of the University of Maryland led to the establishment of five individual campuses within the university system, including College Park, and the creation of the position of chancellor to head each campus. Charles E. Bishop (b. 1921), served as the first chancellor of the College Park campus from July 1970 to July 1974.

Bishop received a B.S. in agricultural education at Berea College, Berea, Kentucky, in 1946; an M.S. in agricultural economics from the University of Kentucky in 1948; and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Chicago in 1952.

Regarded as one of the leading educational authorities in the field of agricultural economics, Bishop spent 20 years as a faculty member at North Carolina State University. Before coming to campus, he was the vice president of the University of North Carolina for four years. He also participated in numerous assignments for the federal government and nationally-based agricultural and educational organizations.

During his tenure on campus, he oversaw a major academic reorganization. He left in 1974 to become the president of the University of Arkansas.

  • John W. Dorsey, Acting Chancellor, 1974-1975


  • Flagship Institution of the University System of Maryland
    University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA 301.405.1000
    Copyright 2011 University of Maryland | Privacy
    Contact us with comments, questions and feedback