University of Maryland Archives—1941 yearbook, p. 24
Thomas B. Symons (1881-1970) was acting president of the university for nine months in
Symons, a 1902 graduate of the Maryland Agricultural College, served the University of Maryland in various capacities for nearly 70 years. Symons's many offices included state entomologist, dean of the School of Horticulture, director of the Cooperative Extension Service, and dean of the College of Agriculture. He was also active in numerous agricultural organizations, including the Maryland Horticultural Society, Maryland State Soil Conservation Committee, and both the National and Maryland State Grange. Symons retired from the university in 1950, but agreed to return as acting president for a short time four years later. He completed his service to his alma mater as a member of the Board of Regents from late 1954 until his death in 1970.
During his brief tenure as acting president, his major accomplishment was to remodel the Rossborough Inn into the faculty club.
A building on campus, constructed in 1940, was named after Symons in 1954. Symons
Hall is home to the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, the College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences, and the graduate program in Marine-Estuarine-Environmental Sciences, as well as several other programs and offices.
Wilson Homer "Bull" Elkins, President, 1954-1978