Messaging and Resources for the University of Maryland Community
As a leading public research university, we know that science and research are essential for the prosperity and health of our nation, and to ensuring America’s global leadership in innovation. Science is critical to our mission to educate students and advance knowledge in areas of importance to the state, the nation, and the world.
We agree with our colleagues at the Association of Public & Land-Grant Universities who say the March for Science presents an important opportunity for universities to highlight the continued, invaluable benefits that science has on our nation and communities.
We believe the March for Science is important because:
- We want to actively celebrate the positive impact that science has on our everyday lives.
- UMD’s advancements in science help us serve our state and nation by creating jobs and economic growth.
- As a public land-grant university, our science and research supports U.S. agriculture and protects the environment.
- Science plays a key role in strengthening our national security, including key areas with unmet need like cybersecurity.
The day before, on Friday, April 21, our i-School is sponsoring a “Celebration of American Science and Engineering,” open to the public, at Francis Scott Key Hall, 1 to 4 pm . Researchers from our campus and other universities will provide a whirlwind tour of breakthroughs and innovations15, all live streamed. There are also discipline-specific receptions and poster sessions.
Information at: case.umd.edu.
March for Science: Logistics
Where: The National Mall in Washington, DC
When: Saturday, April 22, 2017
- 8:00 a.m. Grounds open
- 9:00 a.m. Teach-ins start
- 10:00 a.m. Main stage rally program begins
- 2:00 p.m. March begins
UMD transportation to the March: Shuttle-UM will be running buses between Stamp Student Union (Bus Slip) and Prince George's Plaza Metro every 12 minutes on Saturday April 22, from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. The buses will display "Special Metro Express" on the destination signs, and they are open to the public. NextBus will show arrival times for these buses under route name "Special Metro Express."
UMD meet-up location: 15th and Constitution Avenue, NW
UMD meet-up time: 1:30 p.m.